Thursday, March 1, 2012
Baking Tip Thursday!!! Top Ten List.....
Hope your week is going well. My week has gone by so quickly...I think I missed part of it. But luckily the week consisted of a wonderful night out with the girls. Always love getting together to catch up, enjoy amazing food and some entertaining stories.
I am excited to share with you what I made for this wonderful evening in a post to come. But let's just say...the tray was stolen from me before I took my coat off...and they were being eaten before I turned back around. So...I guess this recipe will be added to the keep list.
From my experience with baking, I realize I love the process. (and the outcome isn't too bad either...lol) While I realize for me it is so much more about precision, science, etc. than the experimental/emotional aspects of cooking. (those who know me know the OCD side of it statement is right on....) I have to admit I am so NOT a great cook or an even good one...but give me sugar and flour....I am in heaven!! Home for me is being covered in flour waiting to see the outcome. It may be a messy process at times...but is so worth it in the end!
Today, I wanted to share with you my top ten tricks I use on a regular basis. I hope you find them as useful as I do....
Top Ten Tips
10. Make your own Brown Sugar (in a pinch). In a bowl, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1-2 Tablespoons molasses until the sugar can be packed in a cup and measured like brown sugar.
9. When making homemade whipped cream, place the metal bowl and whisk in the freezer for 10 minutes before using.
8. When prepping a cake pan, always grease and sugar (or cocoa for a chocolate cake) instead of grease and flour. This will offer a great sugar (chocolate) crust when the cake comes out of the pan and NO white spots.
7. When using a bundt pan, remove the finished cake from the oven and invert onto a wire rack. Take a kitchen towel and soak in cold water then wring out water. Place towel over hot metal pan for about a minute. (Just be sure to not burn yourself) Repeat 3-4 times. This will allow pan to cool quickly without the heat from the pan to darken the cake inside. Cake will pop right out in one piece.
6. When frosting a cake, ALWAYS crumb coat...........never never skip this step
5. If something didn't work, first check the expiration dates on dry ingredients. :-)
4. Buy AMAZING chocolate and REAL unsalted butter.....(it does make a difference.)
3. Buy real maple syrup......This may be my New Hampshire roots coming out....but once you switch...you will never go back.
2. Never rush a recipe.........if things don't come out quite right, sometimes slowing down makes things work out. (I have had a few things work at midnight...but I don't recommend trying it)
And the #1 tip......
1. When measuring flour, aerate it......(I do this out of habit EVERY time I measure flour).
So what is your favorite baking tip??? I would love to hear......